Thursday, July 15, 2010

Why I Hate Dieting & Exercise

I had thought about following in the steps of the great Jimmy Fallon & doing a Pro's & Con's segment....{I'll let you search for those segments of his on your own...The Wimbledon one is especially hilarious, but the last, slightly off-colored joke prevented me from publishing it on my post}....

However as I began to gather my thoughts.....I found that I only could think of CONS....

Blast! 
***************************
So I give you......why I hate Diet & Exercise, Edition 1.


  1.  Pain & Sweating. I dislike both. I really and truly do.
  2. Self Deprivation.  Most people who are good at this would probably call it Self-Control....and I'm not good at either.
  3. The Realization that it is a Journey not a Destination. If only I could 'get skinny' and then go back to life as it was at one time.....no..not quite how that works is it? You have to continue to deprive, and sweat. Sounds like fun, no?!
  4. The Looming Possibility of Future pregnancy. Why on earth would I torture myself to get into "shape" that I will lose again the minute the pee stick has a plus sign?! I know there are some ladies who run & jog their entire pregnancies...you're not looking at one of them. My pregnancy goals are to get plenty of extra rest and eat for 2.....or 3. Welcome to my problem.
  5. The Reality that my 'body' may never be as it was before. And judging from the twin pregnancy stretch marks, that is a realistic possibility.  So much of me would rather live in denial that I 'could' if I wanted to...rather than find out that I can't.
  6. Factors "Outside" of my Control. Last fall I had a wellness screening at my husband's work, and my Thyroid reading was high. Which I figured meant hyper-thyroid....which is often the culprit for the inability to gain weight. This not being my problem, but rather the opposite, I did not further investigate. A couple of weeks ago I had the same test done for the 2010 year, my thyroid still being high, I called the nurse to talk with her about the comparisons between last year and this year. To my amazement, #1, not only has my thyroid number gone down to "almost normal", the test reading is actually opposite what I thought--when the TSH test reads high, it actually means Hypo-thyroid, an underworking gland that can make you retain weight and feel tired. {Yay! This is a problem I can work on fixing}
  7. My "Workout Style" doesn't work with my "Life Style". Going for a jog isn't possible with 3 babies at home, unless I wanted to go at 4am, or 9pm...maybe in my younger days. OR going to a gym with scheduled workout classes like Spin or Pilates or Abs or Zumba {which I haven't, but would really LIKE to try}, again....tell me how this is practical with young children?!  My preferences really need to change. 
If you couldn't tell.....this No Pop thing is really hard for me. I'm only on DAY 4, and I cannot tell you how many times this week I have really really really craved a Fountain Pepsi....more than I can even count!  Like taste it in my mouth, feeling faint and shaky.....craaaaaaving. Clearly this is a necessary "Pepsi Cleanse". 

But with so many foods that just "pair" so nicely with Fountain Pepsi like chocolate, pizza, ice cream, .....everything....to even think to "stop and pick something up"....even SUBWAY (although they don't have Pepsi) is pretty much out of the question. 


 So this should be totally worth it....

....well, it better be, anyway.

    8 comments:

    Unknown said...

    Wanna be my diet buddy? Haha, i have one month to go before Vacation. I'm in the same predicament. However, the new treadmill is helping tremendously (not so much in helping me lose weight, but more with helping me feel more energetic to keep trekking through my day). Don't you guys have an eliptical you bought pre-Hayden? Hop on that sucker for 30 minutes a day to jump-start your metabolism!

    Unknown said...

    I hate both too, but I've given in to slim down before baby #2. :)

    Amy@My Front Porch said...

    I've always said that a good workout DVD is cheaper and more flexible than a gym membership! Actually I think that's the first time I've said that...but I still think it's true :) I've got several you can borrow that I won't be needing for another few months :)

    Becky said...

    I didn't know you guys were planning on having more kids!!!!!!!! :) Maybe twin girls this time?? :)
    I really hate dieting too - everything sound so good when you're not supposed to have it. Good luck!!!

    The Sneaky Mommy said...

    I completely feel your pain! I often find myself living in a world full of stinkin' sweet skinnies! Just keep blaming the babies...twins really do stretch you beyond repair. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)
    *But if you lose tons of weight, I'll be totally elated for you!

    beccarankin said...

    After depriving myself for months now, I will tell you it is totally worth it! Yes, I miss the fountain drinks. I miss all the ice cream. I miss my chocolate. I get sick of veggies. I crave my junk food. Unfortunately, yes, I still often feel like I'm depriving myself. BUT I have to say I love wearing clothes now! And trying them on! Stick in there! It will be worth every pepsi you missed out on. (That is my favorite fountain drink, as well, by the way. I CRAVED them when I was pregnant with both girls!)

    Amanda said...

    Ha!! Loved this!!

    Katybug19 said...

    I am in Zumba and totally love it! It is seriously the best workout and you have so much fun. Time flies by for the hour and I am always astonish how exhausted I am by the end of the day. It really works your body but it doesn't feel like it at the time. I highly recommend it!!