....."at War" may be a little strong on the verbage for some of you, others....it may hit the nail on the head :)
But as I was reflecting through this dear ol' rusty blog over the weekend, I had to pause and thank God {No really, I did stop and thank Him} for Victory in consistency. Read my original debacle here.
You see, back in the day, my sweet son Hayden and I went to battle every.single.day. around 1pm, 1:15pm, 1:45pm, 2:00pm.....etc. etc. etc. over STAYING IN BED at naptime.
A curious problem, because how do you discipline {other than spanking, which, ps, I'm a big time proponent of} at naptime?! And we went rounds. For months. Every.single. day.
And he's a cute one, too. But it wasn't a matter of not being tired....he was tired, alright....and after months of battling, I would like to encourage all of you moms with the fact that.....
....I WON.
I'm not hoping to instill or encourage some sort of militant parenting, but rather, encourage us all in our efforts to be consistent because it.pays.off!!!
Hayden now sleeps in a twin bed, not a toddler bed, and his feet don't hit the floor EVER, (because he has learned to choose to obey me on this one) until I come get him.
Please note that I don't wish to gloat, brag, etc....encourage. You can be do it and you can be consistent in your mothering of your dear lil babies, but sometimes........it takes months. Even with faces this cute :)
photo courtesy of Katie Swanson Photography
















6 comments:
Thank you for the encouragement today...my little one is almost 2 and the battle is just beginning :S
You are so right. Consistancy is a really hard thing for me some times. They know how to wear me down - and some times I get so tired of the battle... I know that by me not being consistent I am just prolonging the battle. And really, what mom wants that?? Blehh - not me.
Oh my goodness, I love that picture!!! :)
Kudos for consistency. My girls won't step foot out of bed either because they know the consequences. Our babysitter thought it was really weird a few weeks ago that Millie was hollering for her to come up and when she did, Millie politely asked her for her blankie that had fallen on the floor. The sitter said, "Couldn't you get it yourself?" And Millie said, "No, I can't get out of bed." :) So, I talked to her later about the few exceptions to that rule. ;)
And I really love your blurb at the end. So, so true! I'm glad you're back in the blogging world. At least for now!! :)
I'm so glad we haven't had that particular battle with Lily, though we've had plenty others, as you well know :) It thankfully only took a couple of spankin's and she too learned to stay in her twin bed.
Way to be consistent! :)
Good job Katie! I'm not looking forward to the day we move Delaney to a kid's bed. I have a feeling it's going to be a struggle. She'll probably try to go outside while we're sleeping :) Thank goodness for crib rails!
And P.S. Glad to see you back in the blogging world - you've been missed!
I am completely distracted by the cuteness of this picture. Oh my. Precious!
Post a Comment