I'm one of those lucky girls. Blessed with excess facial hair.
Gotta love it.
And I just admitted it on my blog. Seriously, you'd think I was running out of material.
I've been plucking, tweezing, waxing and thinking about threading since I was 12.
But I'm not gonna lie, and if you wax, you know what I mean when I say....yowza!!
It's probably high on my list of least favorite pasttimes, so I avoid it at all costs.
I get up in the morning, wipe the sleep out of my eyes, and check for unwanted growth under our dimly lit bathroom light. Sometimes take care of a thing or two, but I'm not doing so bad....it's not time to call for a wax appointment yet.....I'm good to go.
I get the boys around, feed bottles and oh-muh {oatmeal} for breakfast. Once they're back down for their naps, I throw in a load of laundry. I glance in the mirror on my way out of the laundry room.....grab the nearest tweezers....sheesh, the light in there is a little brighter and kinda harsh.
I go about my business and at the end of the day, Jesse gets home and asks me if I'd find a sitter so we can go out for dinner. Suh-weet!! A dinner date with my babe....so fun!
We get in the car to leave and I pull down the visor to check my make up. Those darn lights flash on, and holy COW......where on earth did that rainforest come from?!? Dis-gusting!! Wow....so, I'm puking in my mouth now....that's great. And I'm going on a date like this?! Siiiiiiick.
It's funny....kind of like my heart.
I go about my day. Compare my actions with others.....I'm doing pretty well....
I weigh my actions and accomplishments in the court of public opinion....ah yeah...not too shabby at all...
....and then I stop and compare my life. My actions. My attitudes. My thoughts. My reactions. to the ONE who gave His life to save mine. and suddenly, my heart looks like my rainforest eyebrows, and that nasty upper lip.
When looked at in the right light, I see the ugly truth of what is really there...and how it has GOT to change.
"But be a doer of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.
For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer,
he is like a man who looks intently at his face in a mirror.
For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like.
But the one who looks in to the pefect law, the law of liberty and perseveres, being not a hearer who forgets, but a doer who acts
HE will be blessed in what he does."
James 1:22-25
















12 comments:
Good thoughts, Katie. I want to be a 'doer who acts'!
And by the way, I find it almost impossible to keep up on my eyebrows. UGH...I'm in need of a wax right now.
Ditto (the 2nd half ;) )
Sometimes my life just gets caught up in the daily grind, and it's so easy to focus on that year after year.
Amen sista. Ugh...my heart, my attitude, my eyebrows...they're all ugly. Yucky.
great post girl!
is that J new on the browser thing? i know it has a name, i can't remember it though? neat looking
Wow. Really good. Not an analogy I would have immediately thought of - but a really good one!! :)
Wow, I would have never seen it going in that direction. Great post!!!
Excellent Post!!
Love it! Way to pull it all together!
Thanks for another chance to look within & see areas that we can improve on. My goal this year is to read the entire Bible. I'm very excited about it!
Thanks so much for sharing your faith with us!
-Tiff
Hmmm...good analogy!
I love that verse in James... its one of my favorites!! Thanks for the honesty and insight... you are a wise woman!
Blessings-
Amanda
1) I find it hysterical that you made your excess hair spiritual. Lovely, and hysterical.
2) I so feel your pain sister. And after 4 babies? Oh my word. I could grow a better beard than my brother-in-law. My eyesight has gotten so bad that I have to wear my glasses every day now. And let me tell you...the "covering" it has just been one more excuse to avoid the Vietnamese torture chamber. You would not BELIEVE the unibrow I got goin on.
Oh goodness - this was really good. But I just have to comment on the excess hair thing - me too, me too. It is the single most time-consuming thing in my life, trying to keep up with it. I tried laser treatments a few years back and it didn't work on me...boo.
Post a Comment