I could be baking.....
or making candy......
or fudge.....toffee.....maybe even divinity {nah}
But THIS December I decided to go a different route.
Wait for it.......
Homemade LAUNDRY DETEREGENT!!
No lie!!
or making candy......
or fudge.....toffee.....maybe even divinity {nah}
But THIS December I decided to go a different route.
Wait for it.......
Homemade LAUNDRY DETEREGENT!!
No lie!!
A lady from my town, and a blogger that I follow {that's one person} has had this on her blog since, oooh April, so I'm really just now getting to it....heeehee.
I purchased the ingredients for 10 batches for $17.96 {that's WITH tax}
And this is enough for 320 loads.....that's right people, 320 loads.
6 CENTS per load. SIX!!!
{you only have to use 1-2 tablespoons PER LOAD!}
And I actually have enough of two of the ingredients for 5 or 6 more batches!
All natural, hypo-allergnic......cheap.
And rave reviews from myself and others!!
I bought all the ingredients at Hy-Vee {our local grocery store}
And spent yesterday afternoon putting together the individual batches.
I'm not gonna lie.....I'm having a hard time being humble right now,
because I feel so accomplished and awesome for saving so much MONEY!
I dare you all to try it!
Here is the recipe....
Happy 'Thrifty' Thursday!















21 comments:
You go, girl! I have been wanting to do this for sooo long now!
I'm so impressed. I'm extremely loyal to my laundry detergent so post later on the quality of cleanliness and fragrance. I'd really like to know how they compare.
What a great idea! PS - I have my laundry soap in the SAME glass jar...but mine is missing a cute bow...I really feel the need to go find a cute bow for mine now :)
Thanks for sharing!
I've seen some other people do this -- interesting! But what I really want to know...does it smell good? I like my clothes to smell "clean".
H-Mama.....DO it!! I did it on a 'whim', but I looove it so far {it's been 3 days!} and it's such a small investment that why not?!
As far as the smell goes...I personally don't think it's overly fragrant, but when I made it the whole house smelled like laundry soap. Maybe it's my washer/dryer, but unless I use dryer sheets my laundry never smells. But when I walked into my laundry room/bathroom just now it definitely smells fresh and clean.
As far as the cleanliness goes....read through the comments on Kelli's post....they say that their whites have never been whiter and laundry has never been softer, and she DOESN'T use even dryer sheets or fabric softener.
THAT IS AWESOME!!! I'm totally doing it! I always pat myself on the back when i can double coupons with an already-on-sale detergent at Target...but this seriously beats that! Thanks for sharing. We need to get together sometime, by the way. :)
I just made my own detergent 2 weeks ago--same ingredients! I have a huge 5 gallon bucket full of it in my laundry room. Mine doesn't look as cute as yours does in that little jar with a bow. :)
It's definitely worth the money saved, and it's not hard at all to make! It really works--Stephen has had 3 pairs of jeans covered in mud from work, and they've all come clean--with no other stain removers!!
I will agree that this sounds like a good idea, but there is just one problem. You bought your ingredients at Hy-Vee! OH just kidding, I think that we will try this. Right now saving money is huge for us!
Rumor has it you can buy the ingredients at Fareway, too :P
hmmmm, very interesting!!
your jar with the ribbon and detergent sure looks cute ;)
Do you have any energy-efficient washer/dryer? I wonder if it's ok for those...
I don't, but it is okay for them.....Kelli {simply altered} has one, and swears by the stuff
Katie, I love this stuff. I make mine into a liquid (from livingonadime.com) and put it into an empty "all" container, but it's the same stuff. Works great and I and my sensitive-skinned kiddos use it with NO problems! :D
Another thing to do to save and avoid overly perfume-y clothes is to fill a downy ball with white vinegar and toss in the wash. Then use dryer balls (or tennis balls or wool yarn balls). No static and fluffy clothes! YAY!
Isn't the detergent awesome?!?!?!? We've been using for a while now. Takes a little time to get everything ground down, but it is so worth the extra time! Besides. . .we stay home so we have all the time in the world, right?!?!? LOL
-Tiff
Right Tiff.....I have allll the time in the world. Somewhere between feeding babies, changing diapers, disciplining Hayden, reading books, cleaning my house, etc.
I thought the detergent was so easy! Once the initial blocks of FN ground down to pellets, I just let it run for about 7-10 minutes and let it do it's thing. Other than being incredibly noisy for a couple of hours, it was a breeze!!
ok. Finally, it is ME !!!!! as soon as I said I was coming over to take a look at the blog, ...I got interrupted. :) imagine that!! thanks SO much for the shout out to my blog and the whole laundry soap craze!! it is SO unbelievably awesome. Was in Wal Mart today and a clerk let me know she made another huge batch of "my" laundry soap last night. Funny!!! I was flattered!!! LOL If anyone has additional questions, they ought to be answered on my blog or in the FAQ area. I think I have answered every question imaginable, some more than once!! YES, it is great for front loader high efficiency, YES it is great for sensitive skin etc etc etc..the list of BENEFITS goes on and on!!! Hopefully everyone will also find the link to the TV interview I did , as there are more money saving ideas on there too. Isn't saving money fun??? once again, thanks for directing blog traffic my way Katie!! more readers for the next 22 days maybe??? :)
~~Kelli
Yay I'm glad you tried this!! And Hi Kelli, I'm a reader too!!
I made my own soap (this recipe) up until we moved and I no longer had my own W/D (sad!). I LOVED the stuff, I loved how soft my clothes started to feel and how good they smelled and how CLEAN they were! I will definitely be making my own soap when we move into a house and have our own W/D again!
Wow! Good for you. I'm impressed.
You go girl! Way to be frugal. I have never tried doing this before...I always wondered if it would work as good as non-homemade stuff. Give us update around load 40 or so, let us know if you still think it works good.
WOW! This is awesome! Thanks for sharing! I'm so going to try this!
OK, you have totally inspired me considering we're about to go down to one income. And WHERE did you find that precious jar?
Post a Comment