Tuesday, September 15, 2009

What's a Girl to Wear?!?

I'll be the first one to admit it.

I loathe 80's fashion. More than I can tell you.

I hated it the first time...I think I was 6, and sure enough, I hate it this time, too.
I understand, to some of you, this is pure blasphemy...sorry, I can't help it

With all my new "time" that I have, you know, being at home and such, I've been taking in some fall fashion segments on the Today show...hoping against hope that maybe I'll find an outfit with a hint of "classic" fashion in it. Very little luck.

To my surprise, however, according to People Magazine's 'Style Watch' for Fall '09 
These are the Top 12 Must-Have's (and I DON'T hate them all!!):
  • Black Leather--really? Somehow I doubt they mean tailored black jacket...maybe it was the picture of Angelina in a black leather dress...
  • Red-I can get into this....maybe some red peep toe heels? Maybe to wear to Wicked? I mean...it's so thematic...Dorothy...the Wizard....the munchkins....I digress
  • Sheath Dresses--k.....so what's that?!?!? Thanks to about.com I think I know...I think I could take or leave this "must-have"
  • Bright Bags--so here's the problem, Mr. People Magazine, all the new arrivals and top pics are brown and gray bags...I think that's cuz people think that fall means BROWN 
  • Leopard Print--this could definitely get outta hand fast...I'm gonna go with 'nah' on this one
  • Neon Pink & Black--you lost me at neon. Pink and black...we'll do. Neon is not my friend. 
  • Ruffles--so this one might not be ALL bad. This, I would totally wear, but you can't tell me that this outfit isn't remIniscent of the men who signed the Declaration of Independence...where's the feather hat?!
  • Bold Gold Necklaces--I like gold. This is nice. With a black dress this would be quite nice.
  • Sparkly Shoes--This could take some convincing
  • Embellished T-Shirts--Love this store. Hate this shirt. Send me flowers, don't plaster them down my front.
  • Dressy Leggings--I'm gonna have to get into leggings before I go for dressy leggings...these are just oddities to me
  • Vintage-y Jewelry--Love.it. Maybe it's just that I love jewelry, but there's not much jewelry that I won't wear. I'll take one of every last one of these. And I think you could define many of them as "vintage-y".
Okay, so not as bad as I thought...but what on earth am I gonna wear if this is all they sell in stores?!? Goodness.

Fortunate for me, I live in Iowa....it takes fashion trends about a year to get here...so maybe I can just....wait.....it.....out.....

Photobucket

7 comments:

Amy@My Front Porch said...

I'm with ya on the 80's trends. Ugh. I think I'll wait it out.

Susan Berlien said...

I could get into it! I love the bright backs and sheath dresses. I'll skip the leopard print, though. Come on....it's kinds cute. Think Madonna.

Denise @ Sunflowers, Chocolate and Little Boys said...

WAIT! you mean I can't keep wearing my sweatpants and spotty t-shirts??

H-Mama said...

Haha! I'm with you on this one! I really could have used a flat iron in those days. ;) Thanks for visiting my site... Nice to meetcha!

une autre mère said...

Gotta agree with you on the jewelry! :) Of course, I may be a little biased in that area...

But yeah... the 80s have come and gone and need to STAY in the past!

Debbi said...

Lots of thoughts.

Red??? I though it was purple/fusia/etc. Or maybe that was last year & it's just getting to IA.

I like the sheath dress, but the definition said "well-toned bodies.." so I will be out on that option.

Leapard in small amounts & pink with black could be cute.

Sparkly Shoes??? Could be cute if we had baby girls.

Dressy Leggins might be OK. Maybe? I just bought a dress this might work with. I wonder what shoes are appropriate?

Love the jewelry.

Thanks for some fun today!

Debbi said...

Just for clarification...
NOT the leggins on your link! I was thinking very simple black with no ruching.
Have a GREAT DAY!