Monday, August 17, 2009

A Fair Time


The Iowa State Fair.....is there anything better?
Corn Dogs.....Pork Chops on a Stick......Deep Fried Snickers.....The Biggest Boar.....The Biggest Bull...

The Midway.....Carnies....."Cast Your Kernel"....The Bill Riley Stage....ahhh memories....

This year we made our own memories.

The alarm clock rang at 4:30am and by 5:45am we'd loaded the car to get to the fair.
You see, from 5-7am, admission was free if you brought 2 jars of canned food. Free is good. Even Hayden thinks so :)

We entered Owen & Silas in the "Least Look Alike" Twins, Triplets & More contest in the Under 1 yr. Category.


They got 3rd! Out of 10, that's pretty good.....but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't just a liiiittle disappinted.


We saw the bulls & the boars. Sick. I know.



Hayden even took a trip down the Giant Slide!


It was a hot, hot day.


And we we all soooooo tired!


No promises that we'll ever get up that early again to go to the fair, but it was a great time anyway!

In closing a couple of observations from the fair:

1. Twins are a spectacle, even on "Twin Day". If I had a dollar......
"Lady with the babies, lady with the babies, stop, Stop, STOP!" Are you kidding me?!?! They're babies, and no, they're not J.Lo's babies, just normal babies.

2. Help Keep Iowa Beautiful, Put a shirt on. You're not that good looking.

3. I am a city chick. Wow, am I a city chick. I've lived in Iowa all my life, but pigs are still gross, lambs are way cuter as stuffed animals, and the FFA "cattle barn campout" is just.....weird.

5 comments:

une autre mère said...

Oh, the good ol' State Fair! Thanks for giving me a good laugh and helping me to re-live memories. I won't be going this year thanks to this enormous belly that doesn't allow me to walk more than ten feet without getting winded.

One of my favorite things to do at the fair... people watch, of course! For some odd reason, the fair draws all of the... um...how do I put this... "interesting" people out at the same time - the shirtless wonders, the pregos with bikini tops on, the moms with twin babies that look nothing alike... the list goes on and on.

Alicia Lenoir said...

Well, thanks Katie for showing me what to ignore when we go to the fair this Saturday. I am glad to see that you had a good time.

Alicia

Amy said...

Oh, we briefly thought about going for free the first day also, but -- we are city kids too, and getting up that early for the fair just wasn't worth it :)

Anonymous said...

It was great to see you and your 3 cuties there!

You just never know what you are going to see at the fair. One day of it is enough for us! *L*

-Tiff

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

This totally cracks me up! Now I want a shirt with saying #2 on it!