Tuesday, April 21, 2009

It's political, obviously

Ahh....a favorite line from a fave movie. Nacho Libre. Huge crack up. Not what I'm blogging about today.

I have tried and tried to keep my blog from getting political, however........today, it must stop. So many things have "changed" in our world in the last less than 90 days, that I would lie if I said I weren't moderately frightened.

Sunday, I had the privilege of staying home with my son who was still on the upswing of being sick. While my husband was at church, I'll admit, I watched 2009 Miss USA Pageant. Lame, I know. But can't a girl wish for tanness and skinniness like that?! Seriously. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have watched this pageant, but I do love me some 'Miss Congeniality'! So they get to the end where they're asking the Final 5 the burning questions on the judges minds. Sorry, Miss Arizona....but you totally punted the question about Universal Healthcare (something about 'no matter what side you're on, it's about integrity'....?!?!). Miss California steps up to the emcees and receives her fate, literally. A question from none other than Perez Hilton.
"Vermont recently became the 4th state to legalize same-sex marriage (crowd applause). Do you think every states should follow suit, why or why not?"

I don't know what I was expecting from her answer, but it sure as heck wasn't this:

"Well, I think that it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land that you can choose same sex marriage or opposite marriage, but you know what, in my family I was taught, and I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anyone out there. Thats how I was raised, and I think that marriage should be between a man and a woman. Thank you"

And it cost her the crown. The Donald said it himself. She probably received a low score from Perez, which offset her averages and it cost her the crown. But she stood up for what she believed was right, and it cost her.

You know, tough luck, you are the 1st runner up in the Miss America Pageant. Big deal, right? Until Today on NBC. Matt Lauer spoke with both Perez Hilton, and Carrie Prejean, Miss California. Matt asked 2 questions to Perez Hilton, whose answers....were horrible. Absolutely infuriating!

1) Matt to Perez: "So, did you expect Miss California to give a neutral, on the fence answer? Or did you expect her to speak her mind?"
Perez to Matt: "I expected Miss California to have be prepared to answer that question. Especially, since she is Miss California, from the state that recently passed Proposition 8, banning gays and lesbians from marrying, so I was hoping she gave a better answer."

Ugh. So, clearly, a "different" opinion shows one to be unprepared? Lets keep going. (BTW....didn't the majority of Californians VOTE to ban same sex marriage?! He must be confused.)

2)Matt to Perez: "....are we ushering in an era where contestants will be subjectively judged based upon their political, and moral, and religious beliefs?"
Perez to Matt: "I hope not, Matt, I personally would have appreciated it if she would have left her personal, political and religious beliefs out of it........"

You cannot separate the two! Had she "left out" her personal beliefs, which she well could have, she would have been untrue to herself, no? Isn't that what the gay and lesbian agenda is all about? Being true to yourself? Or is that only as it applies to them?

The bottom line is: Christians, and others who oppose same-sex marriage are not going to change what people call is "good". People have been calling homosexual acts "good" for decades, no...centuries. We will not change that.

However, what is the most troubling to me is that the place where marriage originated (The Church) is being completely isolated from the 'State's' decision. I think this event is a minor example of what we will see in the future --the affect that this will have on those willing to stand and say "This is wrong, this is not what I believe". Churchs have already begun to lose their tax exempt status in Massachussetts for not complying with the state's decision and preaching what the Bible says, and Pastor's have been charged with HATE crimes for refusing to marry a same-sex couple.
Are we not replacing one of our fundamental and founding rights (Freedom of Religion) with a civil rights movement?!

3 comments:

Anna Mae said...

Totally agree... very well written. just keep praying for our country... it's gonna get worse before it gets better. :(

Amy said...

My thoughts exactly. Well said!

Makes me even more anxious for the day when EVERY KNEE will bow and EVERY TONGUE confess that Jesus Christ is Lord...

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

Even....Perez Hilton.