Every 40-something mom in America tells the younger generation of moms-to-be:
'Oh, it doesn't hurt that bad, and you forget the pain, that's the only reason people have more kids!'
I have one word for you. Whatabunchofcrap.
The reason people have more babies is because they get pregnant. Period. Okay, check that, they don't have a period, I should say 'End of Story'.
Today, I was watching part of 'A Baby Story' on TLC, which no matter how annoying or weird the mom is, I cry, without fail, every single time they show the baby with all the cheese on it. Like a little girl. But the minute and a half she spends in agony before the baby with the cheese appears, it HURTS me. Not the contractions, no, the head crowning. Every.single.time. Yeow!!! And I remember what it felt like.
Another (weird) reminder of the pain I get, is dressing my son. Not everytime. But when he wears a onesie from those 'Gerber Onesie 5-pks' (Moms, you know which ones I'm talking about). The ones where the head hole is smaller by far than the child's head, and as I pull that onesie down over Hayden's head, I remember. Because even though I didn't watch him be born, I've seen the videos, and I know what a baby crowning looks like, and I can feel it. Gross, I know, but I'm serious, try it out......Oww! :(
Finally, proof positive that you body does not forget. Back in September, my dear friend Amy had a lil baby girl. I was sooooooo excited when I got the text message that the little chica had arrived! I got home that night from my late meeting and went almost straight to bed. And I had a childbirth dream. A childbirth dream unlike annnnnnnny dream I'd every had in my life. All throughout my Hayden-pregnancy I had all those weird dreams where the little boy suprises everyone as a little girl, and getting to the hospital only to find out someone ELSE had your baby, and you will no longer be needed for the birth-giving process, or ironically, one baby comes out as 2 babies (ha.ha.). All these sweet, but weird dreams that you wake up wishing you could go back to how they end, right? Not this night. I woke up crying in pain...literally crying, as I felt the baby's head that I was birthing, crowning and I was giving birth. Mmmm...no thanks, I think I'll stay awake for the rest of this nightmare :)
Please, please believe me when I say that every ounce of pain you go through does show itself to be worth it, and I would do it alllll over again (and plan to). It is indeed one of God's greatest gifts and miracles. But, can you at least see why one wouldn't be in a huge hurry to have a complete re-do?!?! They call it "The Curse" for a reason!
Monday, April 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)















2 comments:
I'm trying to forget the pain, but I think it's virtually impossible. :-( And we don't have much longer before we get a "refresher" course on it! YIKES!
-Tiff
Yikes is right! I'm trying to just keep powering through and not ask Dr. Richmond for a C-section....but as the inevitable gets closer, it gets alllll the more tempting to let someone else do the work :)
I will not!
Post a Comment