"Be anxious for NOTHING, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God, and the peace of God, which surpasses ALL understanding will keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6 & 7
I am a planner. So, therefore, I am a worrier. I plan in my mind that everything goes just "so", and it all turns out perfectly for myself and those around me. But guess what.......life doesn't always happen just "so".
When I plan in my life that everything goes just 'so', I also like to anticipate possible roadblocks. So in my head, the situation looks something like a flowchart. Here's where the worry comes in: What if this happens....what will we do? How will it work out? How will I respond? Can I handle that?! Go here, go there, jump through this, check, check and CHECK, there you have it-- CRISIS OVERTED! Phew!<insert God's laugh here>
Twins were never on my 'flowchart'. Okay, well, maybe when I was playing Barbies when I was 11...but honestly, not a blip on my radar since then. The day I found out I was pregnant, I foolishly said to Jesse, 'Ya know....I just did this baby thing, we read the books, we did all the stuff.....and to do this all over again so quickly.........might be kind of boring. Kind of a bummer.' Famous last words, right? So with these worries that at times seem to consume me, I have a choice to make. Wallow in it or replace it with thanksgiving.
- I'm nervous about caring for 2, scratch that....3 babies at one time. I am thankful for God's blessing of children--and however He chooses to give them to us, I am forever grateful.
- I am nervous about bonding with twins--one baby--no problem, but twins? I am thankful for a godly husband who loves and supports me and can help us build a family unit together.
- I am nervous that the twins may come early, jeopardizing their health. I am thankful for modern medicine, and the wisdom of the medical professionals to do what is best for the babies and for me.
- I am nervous about the horror stories I have heard lately about multiple deliveries and tragedy of baby's lives lost. I am thankful for friends who tried to spare my mind from these stories, and I am thankful that God holds the life of these children in HIS hands.
- I am nervous about how the economy will affect our family in the coming years. I am thankful that my heavenly Father owns the cattle on a thousand hills and He is truly the one that provides for our family.
Most of all I am thankful for the truth that God's word provides to combat the sinful thoughts of worry and distrust.
"...and let the peace of God rule in your hearts to which also you are called in one body, and BE THANKFUL. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. " Colossians 3:15-17















4 comments:
The doctors told my mom to expect Lindy and I to be born in... FEBRUARY! They also told her to expect us to be really small. She bought only one outfit for each of us (matching of course) and it was for premies. We only wore it for a week or two. We were 6 or 7 lbs each when we were born.
How's that for a anti-horror story about twins?! :) For my mom, it was probably horror in a different way... :)
Twins are wonderful! I wouldn't trade it for anything! And I'll speak for my mom... she agrees. :)
Good stuff, Katie...
Although we only have one on the way, I can relate to some of those nerve-racking thoughts...and I'm thankful to be reminded to, well, be THANKFUL! :)
I'm looking forward to seeing how God will prove Himself ever so faithful through all of what is to come!
I needed to read that Philippians verse today. Thank you.
God is FAITHFUL. He will always provide what we NEED. WHEN we need it!
What a privilage you have been given. I'm not going to lie - the next year of your life will be the most challenging you have every faced, but you learn to rely on God (and the body of Christ) in a whole new way!
Post a Comment