Monday, March 7, 2011

The One Where I Admit I'm A Bad Mom

It's true. 
{drops head}

If I had to guess, though, I would say....
that is the role of boys--to make their mothers look as irresponsible as humanly possible. 
My boys are especially good at this.
But they may be better at making me look like a wretched housekeeper. 

Remember this guy?

I pretty much didn't want to tell anyone what happened to him.
Let's say, it doesn't exactly enhance my reputation.

But lest you take my silence as hiding the issue and call DHS...
On the Friday of our Valentine Banquet at church, we were hanging around home in the morning, and I had 2 extra kiddos that day. 

I was feeding the youngest lil lady some breakfast at the table. 
She was sitting {well attended} in a Bumbo on the kitchen table.
This little girl is pretty much the apple of the boys' eye....the first little girl that they hang out with on a regular basis, and they are rather enamored.

Owen decided to climb up onto the table {via the chair}, to 'help' me.
Obviously, being the responsible mom that I am, quickly said:
"Owen, get down....NOW."

Now, Owen is very obedient, typically. 
If you give him an instruction, he will pause to contemplate and then go on a mission.  
Its really a very comical sequence to watch.

I thought, logically, he would get down from the table the way he got on.
Via the chair?
More like, he turned around and dove off the table.
Remember the chair? Oh sure, nailed it on the way down.

He cried....for a good long time, but when he settled down, he was grouchy.
Which is also not necessarily out of character for Owen, he gets like that.
But by 10:30, he was being such a grouch, that I put him to bed, no lunch.
 30 min early.
And he slept hard. 

He woke up to eat lunch, and I noted the mark by his eye. 
Pink but no bruise. 
We left for the church so that I could finish things for the V-Day Banquet.
He napped again. 
Much better than his brothers.

But when he woke up this time, it was much different.
He was still very very grouchy, but this time, he wouldn't even open his eyes.
He wouldn't eat a snack {which...this kid hasn't met a carbohydrate that he doesn't love}

He wouldn't look up, he wouldn't open his eyes.
He just sat and cried.

After a short deliberation, we decided that our best option was to take him to the ER.
We thought he probably had a concussion.
Sensitivity to light and sound, maybe a headache, loss of appetite=concussion.

I took him in, Jesse stayed at the banquet.
It is probably the first time in memorable history that I have taken Owen somewhere...
just Owen and myself. 

Re-telling the story to the ER nurse totally freaked me out, you know...
mandatory reporting being what it is and all.
But I could hear him through the door explaining to the doctor what happened,
and I could not have been more thankful for a boy twin mom doctor, who said as he explained the story:
"So, typical little boy stuff."

Ahhh...an understanding doc...is there anything better?
It took them about 10 seconds to rule out concussion. And after a little examination, figured out that he had a decent sized scratch on his eye.

He hated the drops, he hated being messed with..and especially hated the patch
..but after they put the numbing agent in his eye....
literally, 15 minutes later, he did a complete 180.
Laughing and playing and showing off.

I would even say this was a turning point for Owen.
Whether we knew it or not, he definitely craves attention, and 
like I said, it was the first time he has ever spent 2 1/2 hours of time with JUST mommy.

It was a good lesson for me, even though he's "little", I forget to stop trying to "survive" sometimes and I need to just make time to do things with them individually.

Oh, and the patch? Yeah, it was only necessary for the period of time when his eye was numb, to protect it from rubbing. 
And once it was secure to his eye...he thought it was the coolest thing ever.  

Imagoodmom.Imagoodmom.Imagoodmom.

5 comments:

Ann@StringerMama said...

Aww - Sounds to me like you're being pretty TOUGH on yourself! But I know what you mean, we had to take Aimee to the ER for falling off a toy box and I was scared about being reported too. Hang in there girl! You are a good mom! Because a bad mom wouldn't care at all. :0)

Rachelle said...

We had both of our twins in the ER in the course of 7 days for bloody head injuries... and I thought I would never get over it. But, I'm learning, boys will be boys... and we will be back again, I'm sure. It just not easy on this mama's heart or ego. ((Hugs))

The Sneaky Mommy said...

I'm pretty sure that this is not a moment to question if you're a "good mom"! Because with twin boys, these moments are going to happen again and again. I know, I'm sooo encouraging! You're a good mom because you were observant and took him to the dr! ALWAYS keep those wonderful, understanding doctors near your side! Our pediatrician has met us or called the ER more than once (or thrice) to make sure they don't dare hassle us with DHS. We love him!
Hang in there!

Unknown said...

I'm surprised he liked the patch - good boy! Jack would have FREAKED out with something on his face. He doesn't even like bandaids. :)

3 kids + = not enough arms... So I hear. I have yet to experience that myself.

Peter and Nancy said...

I am remembering when my oldest was 1, and fell 3 times in 6 weeks . . . He had a 3-layered goose egg right in the middle of his FOREHEAD, and we had to reschedule his 2-year-old pictures. :o) I thought we were going to be reported for sure!
Nancy