You don't need to try to talk me out of it...
NO patronizing needed here.
Facts are facts, and the first step is admitting it.
I've never recognized myself as "skinny".
Until years after the fact, looking back at pictures and thinking...
"Wow! I was skinny....too bad I didn't appreciate it then!"
It's the weight gain in the face that kills me....or more, repulses me.
Giving birth and the busy lifestyle that commences after said birth giving have started to really catch up with me.
Along with multiple holiday seasons of not caring...
and multiple years of making excuses.
My "ideal" weight for myself has shifted.
What I used to think was satisfactory, I now consider a dream.
I have a few hang ups and a few ideas--I am open toall most some suggestions.
Hang Up #1.
I used to rather workout than diet. I hate to diet, but now...being so out of shape, I hate working out just as much.
Hang Up #2.
Joining a gym is truly a waste of money for me. There simply is not time in my day.
I know, I know, Bob & Jillian would refute such a story, but I would challenge them with my calendar. Working out somewhere besides my house isn't possible.
Hang Up #3.
I LOVE to eat.
I've definitely not mastered the whole "eat to live" not "live to eat" thing.
Food is fun, food is hanging with friends.
Food is not plain grilled chicken and broccoli.
This makes Katie eat post dinnertime "snacks" like...Dairy Queen.
Hang Up #4.
"Diet food".
The more I learn about the way we manufacture food, the harder 'diet food' becomes.
Finding out that 'Fat Free' and 'Sugar Free' & 'Calorie Free' or 'Light' or 'Diet' aren't actually good for me, but actually QUITE bad for me.
Lame.
Hang Up #5.
The If & When Factor.
IF we have another baby, then I will have to do this entire song and dance alllll over again. I'm not really into redundancy.
And how annoying to get my stomach in the best shape of its exisistance only to stretch it to kingdom come all over again?!
Okay, enough excuses.
Here are my own suggestions for myself.
:: p90x.....anyone?? I know all the rage right now is Zumba...It's just so new that I'd like to try something more proven, with a little more staying power.
:: Clean Eating. Have you heard of it? Pretty sure I could not sustain this long term, but it's a nice idea, right?? Or there's Low-Carb/No-Carb or Dr. Oz's 17 Day Diet.
:: A Kickoff Cleanse of some kind. Preferably not longer than 14 days, and preferably not $500. No doubt there is plenty of crud that my body could just stand to get rid of.
.....as I try to think of more ideas, all I can think of is excuses.
Like yesterday, when I was eating my Turkey sandwich at lunch, I choked. HARD.
So hard, that I had a terrible cough and an even worse headache the rest of the day.
If that's not a sign, I don't know what is.... ;)
Until years after the fact, looking back at pictures and thinking...
"Wow! I was skinny....too bad I didn't appreciate it then!"
It's the weight gain in the face that kills me....or more, repulses me.
Giving birth and the busy lifestyle that commences after said birth giving have started to really catch up with me.
Along with multiple holiday seasons of not caring...
and multiple years of making excuses.
My "ideal" weight for myself has shifted.
What I used to think was satisfactory, I now consider a dream.
I have a few hang ups and a few ideas--I am open to
Hang Up #1.
I used to rather workout than diet. I hate to diet, but now...being so out of shape, I hate working out just as much.
Hang Up #2.
Joining a gym is truly a waste of money for me. There simply is not time in my day.
I know, I know, Bob & Jillian would refute such a story, but I would challenge them with my calendar. Working out somewhere besides my house isn't possible.
Hang Up #3.
I LOVE to eat.
I've definitely not mastered the whole "eat to live" not "live to eat" thing.
Food is fun, food is hanging with friends.
Food is not plain grilled chicken and broccoli.
This makes Katie eat post dinnertime "snacks" like...Dairy Queen.
Hang Up #4.
"Diet food".
The more I learn about the way we manufacture food, the harder 'diet food' becomes.
Finding out that 'Fat Free' and 'Sugar Free' & 'Calorie Free' or 'Light' or 'Diet' aren't actually good for me, but actually QUITE bad for me.
Lame.
Hang Up #5.
The If & When Factor.
IF we have another baby, then I will have to do this entire song and dance alllll over again. I'm not really into redundancy.
And how annoying to get my stomach in the best shape of its exisistance only to stretch it to kingdom come all over again?!
Okay, enough excuses.
Here are my own suggestions for myself.
:: p90x.....anyone?? I know all the rage right now is Zumba...It's just so new that I'd like to try something more proven, with a little more staying power.
:: Clean Eating. Have you heard of it? Pretty sure I could not sustain this long term, but it's a nice idea, right?? Or there's Low-Carb/No-Carb or Dr. Oz's 17 Day Diet.
:: A Kickoff Cleanse of some kind. Preferably not longer than 14 days, and preferably not $500. No doubt there is plenty of crud that my body could just stand to get rid of.
.....as I try to think of more ideas, all I can think of is excuses.
Like yesterday, when I was eating my Turkey sandwich at lunch, I choked. HARD.
So hard, that I had a terrible cough and an even worse headache the rest of the day.
If that's not a sign, I don't know what is.... ;)
















8 comments:
Hang up #2: UNTRUE!!! Just as you would challenge Bob & Jillian with your calendar, I would challenge you with my calendar! Pretty sure I'd win that challenge (church+PTF+school+3 kids+daycare) and yet I'm still at the gym 4-5 times a week. Find a gym that has a kid's room, they'll LOVE it! If I drive by our gym and don't stop, Emma & Noah are saying "go to the gym, mommy!" I finally decided I'm too busy and too valuable to my family NOT to workout. I'm 50 lbs and 4 sizes down and it was totally worth it!
Clean eating: Jesse & Jessica swear by Atkins ad whatnot. I'm gonna say it's not possible and super un-fun to do that with kids. I do "everything in moderation". I try to eat round, healthy meals but when I'm making cookies with my kids I'm TOTALLY gonna have one ... or three and I don't feel bad about it one iota because I'm gonna run it off, literally. When my weight gets stuck I do a three or four day "no processed" diet to shock my system into compliance. My dad has some excellent cleanse packs, ask him about them. You can seriously get rid of 15 pounds of actual CRAP! If you're thinking of doing a cleanse, do it first, it'll get you off to a great start!
I look forward to seeing your progress!
Join the gym in Pella. (work systems) They have child care every morning and evening. So, going to the gym actually ends up being a break for you=:)
i completely relate to this universal struggle. ugh. i did wonderful when i had a routine {getting my gym workout in before the rest of the family was out of bed}. now that hubs has a different schedule... i'm now 20 lbs heavier. have to bring the girls with me and it's not as easy as it sounds... not every gym has the best childcare. being more of a gym person vs. a dvd person... well, i'ma strugglin'. *sigh* jillian would give me an earful, i'm sure!
i 'can' tell you that my weight loss was always more successful while cleansing and keeping my internal organs in tip-top shape. especially the liver cleanses. ;)
Katie, I just got done loosing the extra 20-30 lbs that came along with my pregnancy with Paul. I did weight watchers (didn't pay for it, just did research online about the program) And lost it all in a matter of a few months. It is a really easy system. It is essentially what your friend Jenn is talking about, everything in moderation. You quickly find out what an actual portion of something is-which really opened my eyes to how much I was consuming. If you go with this lifestyle change (I view it more like that, rather than a diet) you will be pretty crabby the first week- or at least I was. I snapped. a lot. but once your body realizes it takes less to keep you going than you think- I found I have more energy, it takes much less to fill me up. I enjoy food more, and when I have cookies or cake I actually taste it because I am not constantly eating processed foods like I used to. Eating whole foods and high fiber is really helpful. My challenge: do it for a week and see where you stand! I lost 4 lbs the first week, and that was enough motivation to keep it up! The weight loss levels out after a while (as it should) but losing the first ten in a matter of a few weeks feels pretty good!
I am now running a few mornings a week to tone. I struggled with the same thing as far as being nervous about getting preggers right away after having the figure I missed so much. However, if you lose the weight between pregnancies it makes it WAY easier to lose it each time. If it builds up between, the weight clings to you. I am also looking forward to maybe not gaining 60 lbs the next pregnancy too now that I have better eating habits.
Good luck! I know we don't talk much, but now you (and a lot of the world) know my recent struggle! If you choose to go this route and want to talk, let me know! email is best as I am going off FB for lent.
i hate to tell you this, but my brother lost ten pounds just by quitting soda (i know how you love your pop - as i sip my fountain mt. dew). refined sugar is one of the worst things for our bodies and makes losing weight, especially that last ten pounds virtually impossible!
also, i agree about getting out to the gym. i understand that they have childcare, but who wants to get three babies ready, get out of the house and in the car, get out of the car and into the gym...isn't this enough of a work out in itself?! by the time i get to the bike, i'm exhausted. and three times a week? not gonna happen. i waste $66 every month for our Y membership because "this is going to be our month". not. i have heard that zumba for the wii is fun from a couple of my iowa friends.
don't forget, healthy and skinny are not the same thing. i struggle on the other end of the spectrum, especially post pregnancy when i am nursing, and i'm sure that just because i am "skinny" i am probably just as or more unhealthy than a lot of people carrying a few extra pounds!
My 2 cents...I've struggled with the If and When factor myself but -- if you go into a third pregnancy after having lost weight and with a body used to exercising, you'll have a lot easier time maintaining/regaining it afterwards. If you go into it out of shape, it just keeps snowballing from there. At least, that's what I've been telling myself at 5:30 every morning :) And I totally TOTALLY get the gym thing -- maybe just b/c I'm cheap but i think you can find ways to work out at home that will give you the same or better bang for your buck not to mention saving you time!
And my last piece of advice (like I'm some kind of expert) make sure your heart motivation is right. Ask yourself "would i be changing my eating and exercise habits at all if I was 'skinny'"? If the answer is no, pray that the Lord would help your motivation to come out of a desire to please Him and be a good steward of the body He's given you....MUCH easier said than done, I realize! Wish we lived closer...we could be workout buddies!
Well, I am definitely no role model of fitness, but I've found that steady efforts make more of a difference than drastic programs. I love the 30-minute shred with Jillian, only $10! I also cut regular sugar from our house--except for very special occasions, and we use only honey or agave nectar in moderation. We also eat whole grains, tons of fruits and vegetables. I don't usually buy any chips, cookies, soda, etc. for our family. It's easier if the temptations are gone!
I really like Amy's comments, too! When I eat and exercise for God's glory and not for "skinny", it takes away tons of pressure and discontentment.
P90X: I've heard that it's way good, but based on research it's not for someone out of the habit of 'regular' exercise. A friend of mine has been ding P90X lately, and it kicks his butt and he was already in shape. A better solution is to use just the Power90 workout. It's scaled for people like us who haven't done much exercise for a while. I've just recently started it and I enjoy it (for the most part). Online research had people complaining about the music on the workout videos, but you can choose to do the workouts with or without the music. I usually used my own music, it was much better that way. Oh, and I found my Power90 on Amazon for around $70, instead of the $120 (at least) elsewhere.
Post a Comment