Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Unfollower

So maybe it's a matter of pride. Mixed with a little vanity....

but as a blogger, I rather enjoy seeing one little statistic go up. My Google Followers.

I know, I know....it's not a big deal, but I like it.

For whatever reason, it makes writing a lot more enjoyable to know your blog is enjoyed by others.

It honestly makes my day to hear people say or drop me a Facebook message or e-mail saying 'I love your blog, I read it all the time!'

And then yesterday.....

I posted what I thought was a relatively nice little ditty to my baby boys regarding their 6 month birthday.

Was it my best work ever? No. Could it have used a little more planning? Of course. I'm no J.K. Rowling. And I don't claim to be.

I stopped by later to check comments....and it happened.

That little number went from 73.....to 72.

I had an 'unfollower'.

Someone 'unfollowed' my blog. {big fat sad face}

Did I offend someone? Possibly bore someone to tears? Do we just not have that much in common anymore?

Or is it more like un-friending someone on Facebook?
You know...you never really talk anyways, so what's the point....it's all just a formality and so you're cleaning out the riff-raff?

No 'good bye' note....no grandiose exit. Just gone.

So, to my unfollower.....I'm sorry?? if I maybe hurt your feelings?? or offended you??

I'm just going to pretend that maybe there's something wrong with Google followers...

...it hurts less that way. *sniff*

15 comments:

Jill said...

Well I love your blog! I had that happen once, but the follower had no idea. Somehow the system just "dropped" her without her knowledge. At least, that's her story. She started following me again so I'll take her word for it. : )

H-Mama said...

You crack me up. I enjoy your blog as well. I would like to blame google as well for the plateau I seem to have hit in my 'followers'. ;)

Amy@My Front Porch said...

That's funny -- to be perfectly honest, I hardly ever even pay attention to my followers! I just noticed the other day that there were some new ones but I couldn't tell you whether anyone has ever 'dropped' me or not :)

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

I know the feeling. You just can't help but wonder when you notice.

And really, I just loved yesterdays post!!!

Anna said...

Oh no! Well it wasn't me! I still follow! I commend you for your desire to grow your blog. I'm too sissy to publicly market my blog too much. I ain't a good writer AT ALL. :) The more "private" I can keep my public blog, the better. It's just for the grand-mommies and grand-daddies and such...and any other poor sole that happens to stumble upon my disjointed ramblings.

Annie said...

you are too cute! ;)
i'm back sweetpea! *HUGS*
stupid blogger....it's strange because i just checked and you are still on my reader!

enjoy the rest of your week and have a great weekend!!

Anonymous said...

I love ya, Katie! I think your blog rocks!

-Faithful follower, Tiff :)

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

Oh I love your blog - I always get a good laugh here :).

peter marie said...

Well, I loved that post.

I read your blog, but have only commented one other time...and today I'm becoming a follower!:)

Amanda said...

Their loss!! I think your blog is gorgeous and beautiful and please consider me #74!!!

You are fabulous. And I am guess it had nothing to do with you. Really.

Blessings!
Amanda

une autre mère said...

They don't know what they're missing out on! I loved that last post! It always makes me happy to see when you have a new post! :)

Jamie said...

As of my comment, you now have 75. WooHoo! I'll admit I felt the same way when I was un-followed.

Keep blogging girl...I love your blog!

Missy said...

Every time Lisa at The Preacher's Wife and I get an unfollower, we email it to each other and say, what?? Do I smell bad??

It is never after the "controversial" posts when I expect droves to un-follow. It is always after something totally banal.

Which it means it probably means nothing!

megan edelman photography said...

Hi Katie...I'll make this my first comment, because I firmly believe your previous post was both lovely and fun...I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! I 've been lurking for a few months and thought this was due cause to come out. Your unfollower has poor taste...Blessings to you and your boys!

Rachelle said...

This made me laugh! :) I think you may be on to something with the google ... I had someone ask me if I did not want them to follow because it dropped them. Strange..