Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Everything You Wanted To Know About How We Celebrate Christmas**


** but didn't care enough to ask
As borrowed from Mis @ It's Almost Naptime!!



1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? If you haven't heard yet, Iowa is the home of the finest Dairy products in all of America. Anderson Erickson or AE for short. Holy EggNog, Batman....ga-ood stuff!! 
I did have some pretty good Hot Chocolate f/ Caribou Coffee....t'was decent.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Santa has people to wrap his presents for him, he is NOT a one man show. Fer reals, people

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? 
We shamelessly sport the pre-lit tree. And no we have not had any problems with the lights in the 3 years we've had it. We quite like it, thankyouverymuch.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? 
No. Should we? We already have 3 children under the age of 2. I think we ought not chance it, eh?

5. When do you put your decorations up? 
Shortly after Thanks'mas'.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? 
At my parent's house....Hamballs.
At my in-laws....Porketta. 
Yumminess all around.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? 
Reading the Christmas story with my family one year...somebody got the giggles and then for the entire time my dad was reading, my sisters and mom and I couldn't stop laughing. My dad was not impressed. 

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? 
Sometime when I was a kid, my dad called my sister and I into the kitchen and kind of oddly and bluntly dropped the bomb 'Just so you know, Santa isn't real'.....it was kind of a surreal kind of '.....and your point?!' kind of moments for me. 
I clearly got over it.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? 
Not religiously, but if given a gift on Christmas Eve....I would open it, sure :) I'm no stickler for Christmas morning

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? 
Odd question. I cannot decide if you're asking for my procedure or my decoration theme. Small bulbs, 2 Swarovski Annual Snowflakes, pretty cloth hanging stars, scattered doily snowflakes, 3 {yes THREE} Babie's 1st Christmas ornaments and 2 {because I'm indecisive} 'Our First Christmas Together' ornaments :)

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? 
Today is not the day to ask about snow. We are currently under a Blizzard Notice. Hate snow.

12. Can you ice skate? 
Oh dear, no. I can glide with my arms out at a 45 degree angle.....and I can turn right, however I cannot turn left. I also cannot do a Triple Axle or Triple Salchow....in case there was any confusion, you will not, I repeat NOT see me in the 2010 Vancouver Winter Games. FYI. 

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? 
Uh....I guess this makes me a bad person, but.....no?! I could probably think on it and come up with something....but so far I got nothin.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Cliche, but true. Celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. The culmination of Old Testament Prophecy, and the fulfillment of God's promise for a Messiah.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? 
I take one of everything.
That may be why my niece said to me yesterday "It kind of looks like you're still pregnant"
Did she really just say that?!? Yeow.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
I guess we don't have any hard and fast traditions.....And being relatively new to Jesse's family, I have a hard time calling 4 years of doing something a 'Tradition'...

17. What tops your tree? 
You are insinuating, I assume that there should be SOMETHING atop our tree. Alas, there is nothing.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? 
Wow. Am I selfish or giving, you mean. Why would I want to out myself on this one?! 
I guess it depends.....I love receiving things {seriously, you are lying if you say that you don't}, and I love giving something that I think someone will LOVE. 

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? 
Oh my. Christmas Hymn: Thou Didst Leave Thy Throne
Christmas secular song: If Everyday Could Be Christmas
Christmas non-secular, non-hymn song: Rose of Bethlehem 

20. Candy Canes: Yuck or Yum? 
I could really do without most things mint flavored. I know that's like some kind of cardinal sin, but sorry....I just could. 

21 Favorite Christmas Show? 
Home Alone 1 & 2. I know these are relatively new to the holiday show scene....but I just can't seem to shake the warm fuzzy feeling I get when I watch these movies.

22. Saddest Christmas Song? 
I'll Be Home For Christmas, just thinking of those serving our country away from their families, or those with ill family members. Gets me everytime. 
Christmas Shoes. I dare you not to cry


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your holidays with us!

I gotta ask. . .what is porketta? Never heard of it!

Hope your family has a fantabulous Christmas!

-Tiff

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

Porketta is a Minnesota thing. It's basically a seasoned pork roast that they actually really only sell in MN. However, I have found many a recipe online for it. It is soooo good.

Lindy said...

You should ask Ethan what he thinks about the Christmas Shoes song sometime... :)

Amy@My Front Porch said...

Did I tell you I made a crockpot version of porketta once and we LOVED it? We've never had the real thing so I don't know if that's how it's supposed to taste but it was awesome!

Oh and btw, I'm VERY impressed that you knew how to correctly spell the word "salchow". I'm pretty sure I would've typed it as "Sow Cow" :)

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

I'm still stuck on "three kids under age two". That's just one of the coolest statements I have ever heard. :)

Mandi said...

Mmmmm.... I don't think I absorbed anything beyond "AE Egg Nog". I miss it SOOO much! I will be bringing some back next time I'm in Ames!

Dan Cox said...

I love snow! I think this is great!

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Fun Christmas list! Our kids just told Santa at the mall that he isn't real...mom just wants the coupon for Gymboree and we want the coloring books...we celebrate Jesus and give gifts to honor Him. At least they're honest!

Jamie said...

Porketta and hamballs...never heard of either one of them.

This was a fun post to read.

Anonymous said...

3. THERE IS NO SHAME IN PRE-LIT. ;)

4. Hilarious!!

6. Um... what? What are those?

17. We don't have a topper either. The one year I tried to get a topper I got this gorgeous gold star at Pier 1 and brought it home and it was so heavy it would not stay on the top of the tree. It kept tipping over and falling on the floor. So, no topper.