I arrived on campus on a sunny Friday morning. Most of my earthly belongings jammed in my parents van and my car. None of which were well organized, seeing as though I had started AND finished packing in the wee hours of that morning.
The rigamaroll of college life was beginning, ready or not.
As I sat in the first session of freshman orientation, swallowed hard as I scanned the crowd.
Maybe my future husband is here!?! But, Lord........please not him.....or him. And DEFINITELY not him. But.....I could go for that one....or even that one...I could be flexible on this.
Maybe I'm the only person who ever thought this....but in my heart, I was holding on to a few things. Things I wasn't ready to give God full control over. I mean, really....if I were to give the Lord fullll control over my life....I might have to be a missionary.....in AFRICA. And He may have me marry someone whose ugly.
Funny {not funny 'haha'} how I didn't seem to understand at the time how well my Heavenly Father knew me.....my likes, my dislikes, my preferences....He had READ my 'List of Criteria for my Future Husband' {which by the way, is real, and I still have it}.
Our freshman year had begun, and it seemed like with the snap of the finger couples were popping up everywhere. Marriages were being planned, for pete's sakes. I remained 'moderately attached' to a boy from home, knowing full well that there was little chance of a future, but hated the prospect of being alone.
At the end of the semester, one of our 4 roommates was moving out to student teach, and the women's dean approached our suite and said that we would be filling a spot with a girl named 'Helen' the next semester.
How fun! A new roommate!
Well, 'Helen' didn't live with us. She lived across campus which was not a huge deal. And a couple of months later, she was dating this boy that I kind of knew, Jesse. They were SUCH a cute couple. My heart just melted at the sight of them walking across campus. Him with his dark curly hair, her with her dark curly hair. I mean...they looked adorable together....I thought for sure that they were the real deal. Good for them. I was quite happy for them. But a month or two later, it was over, and inside I felt a little devastated for both of them. I didn't know either one of them very well, so I didn't pry for the details, but breakups stink.
Then a couple of months later I was sitting at my computer late one night, when a message popped up.
'MNTwinsAlltheWay has sent you a message.'
Who on earth?!
Jesse. Interesting. Okay, whatev.
I think I've spoken twice with him this entire year, but okay.
I have to be honest, when I had this conversation, I obviously didn't know I would marry the guy, so I cannot recount verbatim what was said. But I remember that I laughed. A lot.
Oh my, he was funny, and quick-witted.
My roommate Lindsey overheard me laughing and said "What is so funny?!?"
"Jesse is such a nice guy and so funny! Who even knew?!" I said.
"Well, don't get any ideas, he really likes Jamie," she rebuttled.
Thinking quick, I tried to defend myself...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stop over to Rachel @ Musings of A Future Pastor's Wife to catch up with more stories, or if you'd like to catch up on our story, click here!
Sorry this one was late this morning. But I seem to have come down with some sort of stomach bug. And no, not the 9 month kind, thankyouverymuch.
















7 comments:
I am liking your story, Katie!
-Raun messaged me through that school system the first day- had no idea who it was, he just thought of messaging people. I laughed A LOT!!!
And it started there!
I am laughing so hard at:
"Maybe my future husband is here!?! But, Lord........please not him.....or him. And DEFINITELY not him. But.....I could go for that one....or even that one...I could be flexible on this."
Love it...
'Helen' :)
I totally echo your thoughts on my post -- I wish we had known each other freshman year!!
I'm having so much fun reading your story.
Lovin' how this one ended! :)
OK, you are cracking me up girl! This took me RIGHT BACK to freshman year of college. Awesome!
Famous last words much? :)
I'm loving it! But you're making me feel old when I think that I didn't even have email when I was in college, much less instant messaging! I can't wait to read more!!
Post a Comment