Monday, October 5, 2009

My Graven Image

Have you ever heard a sermon that a thousand people were hearing, but felt like it was meant JUST you?

Over the weekend, we were at a youth event and that very thing happened to me. Yes, a youth event. Where it's supposed to be for teens. God found me there, anyway.

If you haven't heard the story, I will sum up for you. A looong time ago, in the nation of Babylon there was a king, Nebuchadnezzar who had a littttttle bit of an ego problem. On the suggestion of a few advisors, he constructed an enormous {90ft tall} image of HIMSELF for his kingdom to worship. But when the people of the kingdom were told to bow to this image, 3 men {Shadrach, Mesach & AbedNego} did not bow. And they were thrown into a furnace used for melting gold. And the Angel of the Lord was with them and they were not consumed, or singed or even smelt like smoke.

That's a quick sum up, and there are lengthier details, but I think you get the gist. But the did not worship, the didn't pretend to worship and they did not give even a hint that they might worship anyone other than Jehovah God. They left no doubt.

And I began to examine my life. My idols. My graven images. And as I examined, I was horrified by my discovery. My idol, is myself.

That may sound trite to you, but it is horrible and disgusting. It's a trap that I've fallen into when I began to listen to the people that say ....
"You are amazing, keeping your sanity and 3 babies...superwoman....blahblah talented...blahblah..." Etc, etc.

And I began to believe...
"I am amazing...I am the mom of 3 little babies..."
"....I did this myself....I mean, I birthed 2 of them in amazing fashion...10 minutes. That's some serious pain tolerance I must have."
"....they are healthy...yeah, I took good care of myself..."
"Oh yeah, and my house is the cleanest on the block..."
"I can do this.....yeah, I did this..."

And the things that God has GIVEN me soon became the things that God has allowed me to have. Subtle, but gigantic difference.

So now the process begins. Taking down the graven image that I have so carefully constructed of myself {long before twins were around, really}, and putting Jesus Christ back on the throne of my heart where He belongs.

Lord, I will bow To You
To No other god, but You alone.
Lord, I will worship You
Nothing hands have made, but you alone.
I will lay down my idols, 
thrones I have made
all that has taken my heart.
Lord I will bow to you
To no other god, but You alone.



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog this am! What a great reflection to start the week!

-Tiff

Jill said...

Great post! And what an awesome reminder that we are nothing without Him!

Amy@My Front Porch said...

Good stuff lady!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Uggghhhh - way to convict me lady. SO much gross in my heart to the same tune of what you are talking about. Me, me, me... And I'm not liking it at all right now. Thanks for this...

Emily said...

You're right. It's important to step back and be grateful for the blessings we have in this world and not to congratulate ourselves so much for bringing those blessings into our lives. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post Katie! I'm usually on the opposite side, feeling sorry for myself because I can't do anything right. But pride is pride, no matter what form it takes. It was a hard day when I realized that feeling sorry for myself was as great a form of pride as exalting myself. Thanks for this great post!

And yes, God does speak to us anywhere! :)

Matt and Molly said...

I agree with Tiff. What a great challenge for this week -- less of me, more of Him! (PS: We really must get together sometime!)

Liss said...

wow that totally went along with some stuff I have been thinking about lately!

A Fist Full of Dandelions said...

hum...makes me think about my idols. I don't want to go there...I don't want to go there...but I must if I am to grow!

Thanks for the reminder and for being so transparent.