Tuesday, June 16, 2009

NICU Update

Wow, I'm bad at this! It would seem that I have all the time in the world, and certainly more time than I'm going to have when we take these two guys home, but for some reason I cannot keep up with everything going on around here!

I will try to recap the highlights and not bore you to tears with the play by play.

Since we talked last, Silas has:
  • Gotten the PIC line on Sunday. After two wonderful attempts it was finally successful and he's resigned his position as resident pin cushion.
  • Had the CPap taken off and no longer has anything in his nose!
  • Monday the IV in his head was removed, praise the LORD.
  • Been allowed to get REAL food via gavage feeding, and Monday noon started bottle feeding, and has done rather well with it!
  • Today he pulled his gavage tube out of his mouth, and so they put it up his nose instead
  • Enjoyed sometime with brother and wore real clothes for the first time!
  • Monday night/Tuesday morning was moved from the warmer to a crib :)
  • Peed on the nurse and mommy!
Owen has:
  • Asked the doctors and nurses to bug off and give him some time to figure out the feeding thing.
  • Gotten his way, and Dr. Bzdega changed him to a 4 hr feeding schedule, bottling 3 times per day.
  • Peed out his first diaper/sleeper/sleep sack!
  • Worn an outfit from home for the first time, and puked all over it and brother. Apparently it did not suit his taste!
  • The doctor mentioned to us Monday that it could yet be 7-10 days before Owen is released. I know, we were a little surprised as well...but we want them both to be as healthy as possible before taking them home. But would rather not take them home on their first birthdays :)
We have:
  • Enjoyed 3 nights in a row at Grandma Limbaugh's condo, enjoying a real bed and a personal shower
  • Hosted many guests and family members. All of whom humbled us by their generosity and thoughtfulness!
  • Scarfed down a wonderful dinner and enjoyed time with Hayden at Texas RoadHouse on Monday evening :)
  • Made three trips to Target for the same shirt! Oh well, we'll get it right eventually!
  • Are still accepting visitors over the age of 14 at any time.


4 comments:

Cassie said...

Hey lady, thanks for the update!! I was wondering when there was no word yesterday but you are totally off the hook, we appreciate any news when you have time! :)

Pat and I both have the night off on Thursday and were planning a motorcycle ride...we could ride your way and go to dinner if you're interested!?

Just let me know what you think? Otherwise I was going to visit on Saturday when he's gone at a tournament but I thought you might be a little busier with visitors that day but just let me know what works best for you guys. :)

SO glad to hear things are going well, so happy both boys are eating out of bottles whenever they want to! ;) Glad they got some fashionable clothes and brother time, can't wait for some updated pics...I'll have Chrissy show me. ;) Take care of each other!! Cassie

Jenni said...

YEAH!!! Progress is good!!!! Will countinue to pray for you all!!!!

Jenni

Unknown said...

Yay! So glad to hear some good news! I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to come visit. I'm just too chicken to drive anywhere by myself right now, beings tomorrow is my due date. I'm such a first time mom! anyway, I hope to come to the hospital soon to see you guys, whether its to have my own baby or to visit!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are progressing great! I will be up there on the 23rd and if you are still there (which my fingers are crossed that you are NOT), I would love to stop by and visit! I'll make sure to call first, but it would be around 9 am.

Isn't it so fun & cute to see them in a crib together!?!?!? Thanks for the update!

-Tiff