Friday, May 15, 2009

The Baby Food Debacle

To all the 'Seasoned' moms......I need some advice. I've been soliciting this advice for the past couple of weeks, and not that I haven't discovered the right answer, I just would like to get LOTS of different suggestions, so get your comment fingers ready :)

So, Hayden turned 1, right? The kidlet has 8 teeth, and I think he may be working on molars. I'm finding myself most at odds with solid foods. Baby food is easy, homemade or storebought, it's really no big deal. Formula, while a RIP OFF, is easily transportable. As selfish as this may sound, we like to go places.....we are not sedentary people. We enjoy getting in the car on a Friday evening and going to Des Moines, or Ottumwa, or Grinnell or wherever. Often these trips equal a trip out to eat or eating at someone's house.

Since entertaining the transition to solid foods, I have become increasingly aware of the CRAP that Jesse and I eat. Take Tulip Time for example. Fried EVERYTHING. You can't pick up a 'side' of veggies at any of the stands. Even kids menus at resturaunts.....chicken nuggets, french fries, macaroni and cheese...crap crap and more crap. Don't even get me started on pizza....I mean, can we get a pile of crackers for the kiddo?

So far, he's doing "okay" with the transition at home, but he's not mastered anything yet.
While I want to transition him as much as possible, I also know that when his life is in total chaos when he receives two brothers, he'll regress, so I'm not trying to set him up to fail. But I don't want to implement something that just confuses him because sometimes he's allowed to have baby food (like when we're not at home) and sometimes he's not.

So to sum up my questions here......

  1. How do you maintain the transition to solid foods when you're not "at home".
  2. Do you pack a cooler to maintain some normalcy in your child's diet, and to give a sippy cup of whole milk???
  3. At what point in your child's early development did you, would you, allow your child to consume the "crap" that every resturaunt in America serves? Obviously at some point it's going to happen, but how long did you or would you suggest waiting?
So, can I get a lil help over here??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We did the Gerber pasta bites. They are really transportable & you just pop the lid & eat! We'd cut them into small piece for Cora. Also, you can buy individual portions of veggies & fruit at the store. We'd just keep those on hand. Grab a fruit, a veggie & some pasta bites & you have a pretty healthy meal for while you are out!

We don't go out to eat very often AT ALL, so I didn't feel guilty when Cora got an occasional mac & cheese at a restaurant. She was probably 15 months or right when I stopped nursing.

Hope this helps! Just browse te baby food aisle & see what they have. Lots are for older babes & work great to take with you!

-Tiff

une autre mère said...

Earlier comment had good ideas about packing those individual fruit & veggie cups. We also keep bananas in the diaper bag since they're easy to cut up. And healthy crackers are always a good option too. And yes, we actually did pack a small lunch-sized cooler bag to put the bottle of whole milk in and sometimes grapes and cheese. But if you're not gone too long, then those insulated sippy cups work well too.

Plus, like the earlier comment, if you're just indulging the child on the weekends when you're out to eat, don't feel guilty about letting him have a little "crap" then. I figure if it's just a special treat and doesn't happen at home, then it's okay. Everything in moderation, right?

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

So glad you emailed! Nice to "meet" you too :)

About your question, sometimes I packed stuff for them to snack on, but otherwise they just ate the junk we ate...they've survived thus far ;)