Friday, March 13, 2009

It's the little things, really

Apparently, as I was growing up, I was the most naive girl....inthewholeworld. And for the most part, I think that's okay. But lately, I've been noticing things that I just wish someone along the way would've said ....'Katie....it's like this_________." Mostly, because it would somehow saved me embarassment, money, stress, regret, etc. The caveat to most of these things.....is that somewhere along the line, someone probably did tell me, and I just thought I was too cool to listen.

Disclaimer: This is the part where I'm brutally honest. Read at your own risk.

I wish someone would've told me that :
  • High school isn't what it's all about
  • Take more math and more foreign language
  • You're smart, get a 4.0--3.5 is not good enough
  • Finish your Bachelor's degree, don't cop out with "I don't know what I want to do with my life," --get your degree!
  • You HAVE to study more in college than in high school
  • Marriage, particularly the Honeymoon, is NOTHING like a romantic comedy movie. There ARE learning curves.
  • Don't listen to the people who say "As long as at the end of the day, you're married, that's all that matters"--spend the extra money and time for the little details that are important to you--you only get one wedding.
  • Most women do wax that off.
  • "I've got a stomach ache" is actually code for "I've got the runs"---seriously?!?! Do you know how much less information I could've given?!
  • Cranberry juice, cranberry juice, cranberry juice.
  • Giving birth hurts......like whoa! (They weren't mixing words when they called it a "Ring of Fire") And you may not feel like it was "totally worth it" two seconds after its over.....maybe not even a week after it's over--That's okay!! It will come!
  • Your body does forget how bad it hurts to give birth........but not right away, it actually remembers for quite sometime!
  • Stretch marks are inevitable. Just get over it now.
  • When you have a baby, don't take things to the hospital that you're too attached to--wear the disposable underwear they give you....just do it, you will ruin your own!
  • Bladder control after giving birth.........well, just be sure to cross your legs when you sneeze!

And my most recent "Aha!" moment:

  • There really IS a difference between oil based and latex paint. (Fortunately, I caught my error VERY early on)

All of that to say, I made a grave error in judgement yesterday. I didn't thoroughly read the can of primer when it said "WATER-BASED", knowing I needed oil based. Oopsie!! Luckily, I had only primed the front of two doors when I realized it.

We're about 1/2 done with our re-finishing project, and I truly hope (and pray) that we're done by the end of the weekend. Then onto the floors!

3 comments:

Anna Mae said...

haha!!! i agree with ALL those!!! :D

Anonymous said...

Very funny and enlightening, thanks and yikes! ;) All good things to know, glad some of our convos might actually prove beneficial sometimes.

BTW - you give me a lot of widom regarding things I usually shirk off so thank you for that...it's the little things that count in a relationship. ;)

Sarah said...

I'll take those to heart...especially the crossing your legs to sneeze...

Question: does that become necessary BEFORE giving birth. Because, uh...yeah.