I really am kicking myself about this one because after such an accomplishment, it would be nice to have something to show for it. Oh well, guess my reward will be in heaven, right? ;)
Well, the weather DIDN'T cooperate as I had so diligently been "willing" it to all day yesterday. Around 4pm I thought for sure it wouldn't get any worse, but sure enough it did. The 5 o'clock hour was probably the worst in terms of the heavy snow fall and the failing conditions. But we pressed on with intent to go forward with the dinner & a movie.
At 5pm I was feeling rather confident with our progress and what needed to be done vs. what was already done (this is when I should've taken pictures).
At 5:30pm, moderately stressed but getting ready to cook the pasta. Guests were starting to arrive. It seemed the phone rang every 38 seconds with another couple who weren't going to brave the conditions.
6:00pm--most people had arrived, and the pasta was ready, but due to the weather we had some who were late. Totally understandable, but I was panicking. The pasta was MORE than ready, but they weren't ready to eat. The steam was rising off the sauce, the pasta & the meat, and SURELY it had to stop steaming at some point.
Since we had 15 people (total, not couples) call and say they weren't going to make it, we were a LOT more generous with our portion size, and the last 6 people who arrived at 6:25pm got Chicken Spaghetti alfredo rather than fettucine. Not the end of the world :)
People gave lovely compliments to the food and drank what seemed to be gallons and gallons of coffee. The teens did a great job serving the food and around 7:20pm the group headed into the auditorium to watch the movie 'Fireproof'. So, based on my original calculations were approximately 40 min behind schedule :S I was just glad that it was the weather to blame, not our preparations.
The chocolate fountains (again...I suck...no pictures) went over GREAT! Everyone enjoyed them, and I don't think anyone left before having dessert. And the exciting news is that there is enough chocolate left over for ANOTHER fountain on Sunday night after church. Maybe I will set up the table again to look pretty like it did last night and take a picture...we'll see.
Overall it really was a great night. I was a little disappointed that not everyone could make it, but that was out of our control. Not to mention, probably totally a God thing because we may have been more apt to completely run out of food then :\
So today I am sore like nobody's business, but Hayden agreeably slept til 8am this morning. I am excited to spend the day with my Valentine and the best present my Valentine has ever given me. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!















No comments:
Post a Comment