Tuesday, May 25, 2010

When Words Fall Short

Living in a fallen world.....well, it really sucks sometimes. Most of the times.

When lengthy marriages go up in a cloud of smoke, when babies die for no medical reason, or when they die of 30 medical reasons....

One of the teens in our youth group said the other day as we were asking prayer for a friend with cancer "You guys know some of the most unfortunate people."

It really makes my heart hurt. Putting myself in their shoes, if only for a moment and only in my head, I just want to remind the Lord "If you will never give us more than we can handle, I just want you to know.....I couldn't handle that."

Today my prayers are with two families. Both acquaintances, one, a blog follower of mine, with uncanny real life connections, burying their 4 month old son who died suddenly and in his sleep. The other, friends from college, preparing to unplug the life sustaining machines that have kept their child alive until they were told "There's nothing more we can do for your son." The very thought of those words give me chills.

And I look at my boys.....3 of the sweetest, funniest, little boys you will meet. We have been so blessed, and yet we are given NO promises that we will have them so that they bury us. At times like this I sense that I hold them a little at arms length, thinking {stupidly} that I would spare my heart a little pain if God would choose one of them before MY idea of their "time".



Am I too flippant about what God has sooo graciously given me? I mean, really, 'The Baby Factory'?! Am I spitting in the face of those who can't have or have lost children? I pray that I am not....but if someone told me otherwise, I would not be offended--in fact I WANT to know.

Romans 5:20 notes "....where sin abounded, grace did much more abound."

I know that the context of this verse is talking about the Law and our sin before the law, but it reminded me that God's grace is BIGGER than the things we go through seemingly JUST because there is sin in this world.

I thought about ending this post with a song video....and I'm sure I could find a nice one to put a little perspective on their hurt, but to be honest I'm having trouble finding the words today and definitely don't want to pretend I somehow know what these families are going through. But I will pray, and I ask that you will take a moment and do the same.

4 comments:

beccarankin said...

Good post. I've felt the same thing in the past few days. I grieve for a mom, not of a baby, but a 25 year old who decided to take his life. It never get's easier to lose a child and, I too, tell God I could never handle that happening to me.

I like the name of your blog. It has never struck me as flippant, but that is just me. :-)

Amanda said...

No... no you are not spitting in the face of...

And dont change a thing about you or your blog. Everyone has their own battle... everyone has their own tribulations based on what God needs them to go through so they can be refined for His glory.

I feel that same way you do... almost as if I need to hug and hold onto my children for dear life so God knows how much I appreciate them... but He knows.

Wonderful Insight Katie.

Blessings-
Amanda

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Uggghhhhh, I know... I know.

Kelly said...

Thank you for sharing this post.