Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Wanted: Mental Health Day

I apparently understood someone wrong when they explained Stay-At-Home mommyhood.

Please hear me when I say I'm not trying to complain....

...but SERIOUSLY, I think I was LESS busy when I had a 9-5 job!

I used to fix and clean up after 1 meal per day....

Now it's three.

I used to change 4 diapers per day.....

Now it's 35-40. per. day.

I clean up toys. And *magically* they reappear!

I run the dishwasher at least once a day, sometimes more. Formerly it was only every OTHER day.

And did you know?! Laundry.....doesn't ever stay DONE!? Not that it did before, now I just have to look at it all day.

Oh, and the kitchen floor, it doesn't stay clean, either. Shocker.

I set goals, make plans, have good intentions.

I am not a neat-freak by nature. Not even by second or third nature.

I am really really trying to be a "recovering" slob, but no sooner do I finish something, it needs to be done all.over.again.

I could cry.

Suddenly the 8-10 hours per day that I THOUGHT I would have to clean and fold and shine, etc. has turned into a 90 minute afternoon naptime. And this may suprise you, but that is NOT enough time to crank out the days chores.

I think I need a mental health day.

16 comments:

une autre mère said...

I hear you. Completely. Plus, not to mention that we don't even get sick days!

Debbi said...

(((Hugs)))

This full time mommyhood is tough. I know it is the right thing to do, and I know someday I am going to miss it, but I would be lying if I didn't admit the busy mononteny of it somedays drives me crazy!

The floors.....Grrrrrr. They are my most hated job. Why bother washing when they are filthy 1 minutes later!!!

You are doing great! I know the 2 days a week I have 3 are by far the hardest. And I know you have more than that sometimes!

Summer will be here soon & then at least we can be outdoors to run off some of the energy. Of course then there will be grass tracked through the house, wet swimsuits, slimy sunscreen, the smell of sweaty boys... {grin}

Michelle said...

SO true! i have often thought that working outside the home was SO much easier than being at home. the girls are 11, 9 & 4 and I still do not have a clean house, empty laundry baskets or a floor that is not sticky.

Emily and Audrey were 18 months apart, i can't imagine a toddler and twins. oh, my. i say with your 90 minutes, instead of clean, you should rest! i used to take naps with the girls, i didn't care what the house looked like ;)

The Sneaky Mommy said...

I wish I lived close enough to drop off a nice cold Pepsi! :)
This makes me feel *very* old to say this...but it will get better (well, not the laundry part, but the diapers & dishes part!)! You have twins--just the word is overwhelming! For the longest time, I would just constantly pray, "Lead me to the Rock that is higher than I." That's all I could get out...but He did! Praying for you!

Jill said...

I totally understand! Don't aim for spotlessness right now. As long as this time seems, in no time at all you'll wonder how the kids grew up so quickly. You'll have plenty of time to clean then. If hubby asks, tell him your going to clean out the fridge--when the last kid leaves for college!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

So,so,so hear ya on this. The thing that surprised me most about stay at home mommy-hood is the CONSTANCY of it!
And for the record, I think you are doing an amazing job. Just amazing for everything God has put in your path in the last few years...

Hattie said...

Girl I can totally relate. Some days I feel like I want to run away! Maybe it's just time to take a time-out! Breathe, relax and remember to thank God that we have these blessings to take care of! (I have to remind myself of this daily!)

Summer said...

Definitely normal to feel overwhelmed.. sorry you are having a tough time!
I've been at home for 6 1/2 years, so I don't really have the other side experience of having kids and working outside of the home at the same time.
When my kids were littler, I chose to play with them, and teach them while doing things with them all.day. My house was not spotless but it did get done. I don't regret spending time with my kids instead of cleaning 24/7 back then.
Now, Autumn's gone all day and Austin's almost 4.
I have plenty of time to clean.
I can take a few hours a week and do things for you like sweep and mop, clean the whole kitchen, fold kids' laundry, etc... Just let me know!

Sarah said...

at least you CAN drink a nice, cold pepsi. last week we found out that my son has an allergy to potassium sorbate, the preservative found in soda, and he's still nursing. so my fountain mountain dew - my sanity saver - is off limits until he weans!

oh, the sadness.

you're doing great if you are keeping those three babies (and your husband) alive and well. the rest is just details anyway!

Amy@My Front Porch said...

I think that increase in diaper changes probably has a little something to do with the fact that you more than doubled the amount of children you have in the past year :)

And your house would still get dirty even if you were working outside of the home, but you'd have even less time to clean it!

Don't stress! (This is the pot calling the kettle black here :)

Unknown said...

Amazing isn't it? And when you throw in a few others that aren't yours, it's just gets crazier!

Try to pick one day a week that you seriously do nothing during nap time but something for YOU! It has helped my sanity immensely! (how do you spell that?!?!?) And stick to it. No matter what else needs done. It's awesome how energized you feel afterwards & it gives you something to look forward to each week.

Wednesday's are my mental health day, Thursday's are clean the bathrooms day & Friday is wipe down all chairs, tables and booster seats & scrub kitchen floor. I think keeping this weekly plan helps keep me sane too!

Good luck!
-Tiff

peter marie said...

Yes, I think that's the most frustrating thing about cleaning...is that it doesn't STAY clean.
I can't imagine how busy you are with those 3 little ones...you for sure deserve a mental health day!

Anonymous said...

I can feel your frustration through this Katie, and guess what? it is the wonderful things about internet / blogging / Facebook, whatever....you can vent a little while, be assured you are NOT alone, and feel just a little bit better aftewards. :) Hang in there. These are days you will NEVER EVER regret for one minute!!

Jamie said...

It can feel so overwhelming at times! Hang in there, it will get better...I promise!

Amanda said...

SOOO feel your pain girl!! Hang in there. (it drives me nuts when people say that to me. Like, DA, of course I am going to hang in there. Hello.)

Anywho.

Blessings!
Amanda

H-Mama said...

I hear you loud and clear. Our girls are 8 and 9 right now... and my house doesn't ever look the way I envision it in my head. ;)