Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Dear Winter Storm #8,

I wanted to drop you a line, on behalf of the Johnston family, BEGGING and PLEADING you to go easy on our little town in our average sized state.

I am quite aware that I live in Iowa. I have all of my life. I am aware of what goes along with the territory of "Iowa Winters". Piles of snow are one thing. ICE.....well, that is an entirely different animal. One in which I would again beg you to go easy on us with.

Last year, and the year before that, AND the year before that we have gotten a half inch of ice {as they are predicting today and tomorrow} and we lost our electricity. Not just for 10-15 minutes....we are talking 3-5 DAYS. Needless to say, our neighbors across the street and to our south all had power and were glad to flaunt their heat and comfort in our faces. Meanies. 

I don't want to have to remind you and the entire bloggy community that I now have THREE babies that don't want complete upheaval for the next week, PLUS my refrigerator AND freezer AND deep freezer are also quite full.

Please.

Please.

Please.

Do your worst........but don't take my electricity.

Puh-puh-puh-lease.

Best Regards,

15 comments:

Amy@My Front Porch said...

I concur.

Is this really storm #8 already? Boo hiss.

peter marie said...

I was excited about today since my husband's work got called off, but hadn't thought about this possibility and now it's not quite so exciting....hope that electricity stays on for you!!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya Katie. Mine flickered a minute ago, and I could feel my heart skipping a beat!!! I was thinking of all the inconvenience of no lights, heat, etc etc etc...but after reading your post, it reminded me....we JUST bought 1/2 of a beef this week and every piece of it is sitting in my freezer!!! Can you imagine??? {gasp} on top of my SANITY??? it would not be a good thing at. all.

une autre mère said...

No electricity = no fun. And expensive when your freezer's full!

Did you know that my freshman year at Faith, we had a super bad snowstorm in which the girls' dorms were left without power for several days and we all had to find someplace else to live? And the worst part - they STILL made us wear skirts to class! In knee-deep snow! BRRRR! I was kinda hoping my little toe would get frost-bite just so I could sue 'em. ;)

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Phew...after reading une autre mere's comment, I'm glad we canceled church so she won't sue us!
I'm praying about that electricity dealio! Last year, a bunch of people in WDM lost power from ice...not us, but our furnace broke simultaneously! Nothing is fun about not having electricity when you have babies!

H-Mama said...

oh no! down here i'm already dreading summer with it's bird sized mosquitoes. it got up to 78 degrees yesterday... it's winter. sigh. hope and praying you don't lose power. i've been there too. no fun.

Lenae said...

Yikes! I'm sending "no-fail-electricity" vibes your way :)

Amanda said...

I second that!! I need you blogging! :)

Blessings-
Amanda

Mandi said...

Dude, I was hearing all about the ice on Facebook today and I still can't believe how hard Iowa is getting hit compared to Minnesota! Sending some super electricity vibes your way!! And stay WARM!!!

Dan Cox said...

Well congradulations. You made it with electric. That mean old storm did not take that from you. lol!

Jamie said...

Oh no! No power would not be good! Hoping your lights stay on!

Summer said...

THANKS KATIE. I think you jinxed me. 1 hour after I read this post, our power went out. It's been 50 hours and it's STILL out. And yes, our food is trashed. And I am not having a good day!
THANKS!
(not mad at you ;)

Summer said...

THANKS KATIE. I think you jinxed me. 1 hour after I read this post, our power went out. It's been 50 hours and it's STILL out. And yes, our food is trashed. And I am not having a good day!
THANKS!
(not mad at you ;)

Summer said...

THANKS KATIE. I think you jinxed me. 1 hour after I read this post, our power went out. It's been 50 hours and it's STILL out. And yes, our food is trashed. And I am not having a good day!
THANKS!
(not mad at you ;)

Summer said...

THANKS KATIE. I think you jinxed me. 1 hour after I read this post, our power went out. It's been 50 hours and it's STILL out. And yes, our food is trashed. And I am not having a good day!
THANKS!
(not mad at you ;)