Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Glutton & Punishment, or maybe the other way around

As yesterday was likely one of the last beautiful fall days {actually, it was probably one of the FIRST beautiful fall days}, I decided to do something that I hadn't actually done yet....

Packed up the boys and we took 'Herky' The Triple Stroller for a long, long walk. I'll quick answer some of the questions you have looming in your minds.

  • No, we haven't had it out before, it's not a stroller that is very condusive to having newborns in it, so we needed to wait until the boys were a littttle sturdier.
  • The significance to the name 'Herky' is that it's the name of the Iowa Hawkeyes Mascot, for all of you non-Iowans.
  • No, it does not fit comfortably on a sidewalk. And yes, it is heavy. 
So we took a walk. To my former place of employment to say 'Hello'. For those of you unfamiliar with our town, it is rather hill-y...and the trek from here to there is anything but unhill-y. If you want a good work out, it's really the ideal walk, as there are no convenience stores between here and there. However, I was just hoping for a leisurely stroll...not a near death experience.


As you can see from the picture, it was truly a spectacle to behold. {Also, the route we had to take was a pretty busy road} It's really amazing....for people who live in a small hick town, you'd think they'd never seen anything in their lives as crazy as this.

I guarantee you, they have.


So when we arrived home, I was a) tired, b) sore & c) thankful that I made it back alive.  I decided I needed to carb up like those marathoners do after they run. Hehehe. So I tried a new recipe...holy buckets, it was good.

Grilled Chicken Penne al Fresco.  Yum-o. Only unlike the recipe, I made it entirely on the stove top instead of in the cancer box microwave. {My favorite part about this recipe is that it's only 240 calories/serving! Yes, I know the pictures are more than one serving each}









And because I feel that I deserved dessert, I tried a new recipe from a bloggy friend yesterday. Swedish Brownies. When she described them as "tastes a lot like a Dutch Letter", I was drooling and SOLD. And boy, howdy.....they did not disappoint. Thanks Karen, for the recipe!! Super good!


If you don't know what a Dutch Letter is.....shame on you, but maybe one of these days we'll 'Blog Giveaway' with some Dutch Letter goodness....

25 comments:

Jamie said...

I'm sure it was quite a chore to push that thing, especially on the hills. But what a cute chore...they are adorable!

The food looks so yummy!

Skoots1moM said...

your babies are adorable...
good recipe
nice to meet you

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

Thanks for the compliments Katie!! Glad you enjoyed them, you are too sweet!!

Amy@My Front Porch said...

I don't like Dutch letters. I know, how very non-Iowan of me :)

Pretty sure that chicken recipe is going on my list to try though!

Debbi said...

The recipe looks yummy. I will have to try it!

The picture of the boys sitting in the stroller all sucking their paci's is priceless. Good for you taking them all out for a walk like that...think of the calories burned!!!

Lindy said...

What a cute picture! Love the new "look" by the way. :) I think I may have to try BOTH recipes...

The Sneaky Mommy said...

OH, I feel your pain with the stroller pushing!!! We figured there were times that the stroller was up to 120 pounds of pure joy! Thankfully, they do learn to walk! We are easing into walking at the mall and around the neighborhood--although it does become much easier to just keep them confined sometimes!
By the way, now I'm struggling with contentment as I LOVE your new layout! SO polished! Love it!!!

Lacy said...

I feel your pain! My sis and I went on a two mile walk (part of a 5K, 10K run) pushing our strollers. Mine's a double and she has a quad that was holding her 3 kids. We've walked that far before, but that was crazy! I think she figured she was pushing 160lbs of stroller and kiddos. The strollers for multiples are nice when you can't chase 3 kids around, but my goodness, they make them so heavy you have to be superwoman to use them for more than a block!
Congrats on surviving! And that food looks soooo yummy. ;D You deserved it!

Chelsea said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing about the Swedish Brownies and thanks to your blog friend for sharing the recipe! I'll have to try it sometime! Been craving Jaarsma's but I don't go there these days, they cant seem to keep their hands clean, dealing with $$ and then getting your donuts with their bare hands.. SICK! Hopefully the swedish brownies will satisfy my Jaarsma's cravings!

Amy said...

Your babies are so precious. The food looks yummy!!!
Blessings,
Amy

Jill said...

Your babies are adorable. And congratulations on your outing! That was a lot of work!

Mocha with Linda said...

I've never heard of a Dutch letter! But the recipe for the brownies looks especially good!

Anonymous said...

I can speak from experience, the Dutch brownie is great! Katie shared with me this morning, and even though I'm not Dutch, had it with "coffee time". VERY good.

Oh, so many hills on your walk yesterday! What a trooper, and what a wonderful day to have the boys out.

I'm anxious to try both recipes, maybe a senior saints treat.

Thanks for sharing the adorable picture, our grandsons are just the cutest, even if I do say so myself.

Love ya, Mom

Anonymous said...

It is crazy how heavy multiples strollers are! As if we don't have our hands full already! LOL My quad is crazy heavy. I can barely lift it into the back of my van!

Ummm, I'm pretty sure I'll have to make the brownies & I'm even more sure that they won't help me lose weight. Darn it!

-Tiff

Susan Berlien said...

Hey! Looking good over here! Like the new digs! Your boys are always so adorable..that stroller photo...priceless and your food looke yummo!!

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

Yum, the food looks great! And I love the stroller pic - too cute :).

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Well I don't know what a dutch letter is, but if it's anything like that picture, I'll some idea by the end of the week! Great recipes and photos...thank you!

Unknown said...

I don't know what all the fuss is about---I don't see anything strange in that photo; Just a big bunch of BLESSINGS!!! (I think I could have been a Dugger for sure!) :)
Luree

SnoWhite said...

those Sweedish Brownies look like my kind of dessert :)

Sarah said...

Oh, you should totally give away Dutch Letters...awesome. I'm all over those brownies... :)

Michelle said...

oh my! that is one big stroller....i got so tickled over this post! not a near death experience hahaha!

oh, goodness, ya know, i think about cancer just about every time i use the microwave! at one time I wouldn't let the girls near it when it was running.....i've read one too many forwarded emails!

Mandi said...

Ya know, I really did come here to leave comments about the rest of this post. You know, something witty regarding the stroller, something yummy about the pasta... But then I read about the brownies that taste like dutch letters. And I'm now stuck here staring at the screen with drool running out of my mouth like a dum dum... Ok so I may have to make those brownies. Yeah. I may.

Anonymous said...

You're a machine. And that dinner looks awesome!

Rachelle said...

People stare at me with my double stroller, I can't imagine the triple stroller stares and comments.

OH - and I think all doors should be made WIDER! How the heck are we supposed to get in and out of places????