Friday, October 16, 2009

Friday's Seven Quick Takes




One. ) I know it's fall, and I am o-kay with that....what I am NOT okay with, is this dreery, sad weather we've had....50 degrees and sunny is fine--55 and cloudy not fine.
Oh, and since it seems I have to be clear...NO MORE SNOW.



Two.) I have been super super delinquent in decorating for fall.  Like...the pumpkin gourds that I bought are still in the Target bag. Prrrobably aren't doing any good in there.

Three.) I've been spending much of my week trying to ignore the fact that I think I lost something. For those of you who know me well....this is not a big shocker to you. THIS one...is kind of a big deal, although I think I know where I left it. Canon PowerShot Camera. In a car. Last Friday night. Sorry honey. {this is the first he's hearing about this, like I said I've been trying to avoid the issue}.
PS. it's not LOST. I just don't know where it is.....right now.

Four.) Would it be bad to sue someone for irresponsibly infecting me with H1N1?? Okay, I jest. A little.  I mean...seriously, if you or someone in your household have H1N1, PLEASE stay home and if you must go out, refrain from entering high traffic areas such as the church nursery. I spent 2 & 1/2 weeks in the NICU with my babies and I don't want to do it again, thank you very much.
PS.I don't have H1N1. But I do have a sniffle....I think maybe it's the same thing.

Five.) The hubs sang at a funeral yesterday. I played the piano for him. He does such a nice job at funerals. How?! I'll never know. I'm a wreck at funerals and it doesn't really matter who died. I cry every.single. time.

Six.) Speaking of dying. Lovely thoughts, I know. The hubs and I were talking about the strange lifestyle of a mortician yesterday. I tell you, it is DEFINITELY for some people, but I could not do it. Anyways, so I told him that people don't LIVE in the funeral home anymore like they did in 'My Girl', which is a movie he has never seen. So I proceeded to tell him about it and how Thomas Jay died in the woods because he was stung by bees.....and as I was telling him the story? Right...I cried. Reason # 3,492,239 why I couldn't be a mortician. Hormonal anyone?!

Seven.) Hormones. **This one's ONLY for the ladies** Anyone know how to increase a milk supply when you're only pumping? All that free formula we got?! Gone-zo. All the milk we brought home in coolers from the hospital....yep. Gone. And the thought of all formula makes me choke for multiple reasons....but mostly....the price tag. $75/week. Yeow. Did I mention my husband is working reduced hours....like 24/ week. Hmm....

Eight.) {This one is free of charge} GO H A W K S!!!


14 comments:

Kelly said...

Fenugrek capsules helped increase my production. You can get them on-line or at GNC, probably many of the natural foods stores too. 2 capsules 3 times per day. You'll smell like maple syrup, but they work. I think you can also get the leaves and make a tea, but I haven't tried it. Increase your pumping can help too. Smell something of the babies (love the baby smell), that can help let-down.

Chelsea said...

Alfalfa and Fenugreek for milk supply.. Healthy Connection here in town should have both.

Anonymous said...

i'm not sure about the milk supply, but you could look into the W.I.C. program at your local health dept. for formula. since you're nursing and have 3 kids under 5, you guys should qualify. free formula for the babies, and milk and things for you and Hayden. i'd get 10 cans of formula a month for one child. its a thought. i hope i was helpful

This Heavenly Life said...

$75 a week for formula? Robbery. Pure and simple.

Emily said...

I can't believe your husband hasn't seen My Girl. I loved that movie when I was a kid!

As for the pumping, does it work like nursing would? Just pump more often (yeah, I'm sure that's what you wanted me to say) and your milk supply will increase naturally? Or is it different when you pump?

Debbi said...

Girl, you are doing such a great job pumping for those babies! It is soooo much work to pump. Let me know if you want to me re-send my lengthy letter from a while back regarding what I did.
Obviously, you would rather have more BM than formula, but if we can find a way to connect...I have 10+ left over cases of Simulac powder formula in my basement that is yours for the taking. Just let me know.
Hope the camera turns up. I would DIE (ok maybe a little dramatic) if I lost mine.

Jamie said...

Sure hope that camera turns up for you real soon.

There has been no fall decorating here at my house either...hopefully I will have a couple things set out before we host Thanksgiving.

H-Mama said...

oh no! sure hope your camera finds its way back to you real soon. i think our weather is hormonal here... cool in the am, then hot. ;) my girl + hormones = kleenex. just sayin'. fall decorations never make it to my house {so you are one step ahead of me}. we skip right to christmas deco after october. ;)

Beth W. said...

Hi. I just stumbled onto your sight for the first time. I am quite familiar with milk supply issues (long story), and the best thing I've found to help is something called megamam at trilightherbs.com

http://www.trilighthealth.com/trilight/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=276_119_190&products_id=501

and trust me, I've tried it all!

Beth

Amy@My Front Porch said...

I'm no help on the milk issue -- I've always had more than enough, even when I was pumping. A lady I worked with though told me that she had to pump every 2 hours in order to keep her supply up for her little boy. It was exhausting but saved them a ton of money! Maybe you're already doing that but if not...you could give it a try? As icky as it sounds :(

Anonymous said...

I agree, unfortunately, I think you need to pump more often to up supply. Icky, I know!

Oh, and from a ex-funeral director's wife, some of them do still live at the funeral home. Thank goodness we never had to! I wouldn't have ever slept! *L*

What a great game today! Go Hawks!
-Tiff

Unknown said...

What has been working for me to increase my supply is: stay healthy and stress free, drink TONS of water, use warm/moist compresses before feeding/pumping, eat oatmeal (old wives tale i read about that seems to work), feed/pump every 2 hours. I'm scared to try any sort of "medication" so i'm gonna stick with these homeopathic remedies for now.

Leanne O said...

hI!! Someone just passed your blog on to me and I'm super excited! I've enjoyed the little I've read.

Believe me, I feel your pain. I am also a stay-at-home Mom my kids are aged 5 (for one more month), 4 (just), 2 and 1 year old twins. :) Yup, you say busy and I say, "got ya". But, it's a blessed busy and I wouldn't trade it for anything (except maybe a occasional maid :) )

I breastfed my twins full time until one 9 months one 10.5 months. I'm pretty sure it was the fenugreek capsules. I swallowed them faithfully and I never struggled for milk. Never. And I can't say the same for my singleton babies.

I can hardly wait to go back and read your archives. Look forward to following more of your story.

Ps. I'm a fellow child of the Father!

Jamie said...

Love, love, love your new blog look. I added you to my blogroll!